England's National Forest Walking & Social Hostel Weekend, Derbyshire
Join us for a super weekend at Englands newest Forest, The National Forest in Central England spanning Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Staffordshire
Our warm, comfortable and modern hostel is located in the heart of the National Forest, just one mile from Conkers discovery centre, and is surrounded by young and developing woodland, cycleways and Great Britain's newest canal. The National Forest is the most ambitious national environmental project of the last 25 years. The plan is to create one constant area of woodland spanning the gap between the ancient forests of Charnwood in the east to Needwood in the west. The region as a whole covers over 200 square miles.
We are sure of a lovely weekend break in the company of fun spicers and whether you are a walker, a cyclist or you just fancy a good mooch around the National Forest there is plenty to do. These weekends are always great fun and represent great value too with 2 or 3 nights accommodation, 2 or 3 breakfasts, 2 or 3 evening meals, 2 packed lunches, tea & coffee throughout and 2 guided walks.
For those that fancy seeing what else the area has to offer other than great routes for walking and cycling, we are very close to Conkers Discovery Centre, within a short drive of Twycross Zoo and easy driving distance of Drayton Manor Theme Park.
Early Bird Price: On early bird price until the end of November 2023 when the price increases by £25 pp
- 2 or 3 nights ensuite accommodation (dormitory or Double Share or Double for Sole)
- 1 cooked Breakfast, a breakfast with hot items (& a continental breakfast for those staying overnight on Sunday)
- 2/3 evening meals
- 2 packed lunches
- 2 guided walks
- tea and coffee throughout
- the services of a Spice host
- Soft drinks, any alcoholic drinks you may want and any optional activities - tea and coffee is supplied all weekend
- Guests: Guests & Non Members who are new to Spice are welcome to book at a £36 supplement though they may prefer to join to obtain the member rate and any deals that may be available at the time of booking/joining. Please call your local office/group to enquire about booking as a guest.
- Travel Insurance: It is also recommended that when travelling on holiday or attending Spice weekends away in the UK or overseas that you have adequate travel insurance in case of emergency, cancellation, etc. Travel insurance is an important aspect to booking a weekend or holiday, giving you protection against unforeseen circumstances. We also strongly recommend a personal travel insurance policy that includes COVID-19 cover. While we cannot recommend specific insurance policies as everyone’s requirements are personal to them, Spice have linked up with market leader Staysure Travel Insurance which you may like to take a look at.
Location & Itinerary
Plenty of good quality food is provided on these weekends away. As always with these hostel style weekends, everyone is expected to muck in to help make the weekend go smoothly from helping with the cooking, washing up and making sure that the venue is left spick and span upon our departure.
These are wonderfully sociable weekends and everyone is always impressed with what you get included - they are a great way to meet members from lots of different Spice groups. Don't worry if you don't know anyone booked on the weekend; these are so sociable you very soon will do.
Travel & Stay
We have taken exclusive hire of YHA National Forest, a comfortable, modern, eco friendly hostel offering ensuite accommodation across 2 and 4 bedded bunk rooms on two floors.
With a large dining room with pool table, a cosy lounge area, a good sized self catering kitchen and a meeting room. All surrounded by lovely lawned gardens and set within the beautiful National Forest.
From the South M42: Leave the M42 at J11, travel north west on the A444 towards Burton-on-Trent. After approximately 2 miles, when reaching the village of Overseal turn right at the junction with the B5003 for the Waterside Centre or take the next right at the crossroads and follow this road up to the T junction. Turn immediately right towards Moira and you’ll see Conkers Discovery Centre entrance approximately 100 yards on your right. YHA National Forest is 300m west of the entrance along Bath Lane.
From the North A42: Leave the A42 J12, the junction to Measham, travel south to the traffic lights. Turn right on to the B586 towards Moira. CONKERS is clearly signed on the junction with the B5003 at Moira. Travel straight ahead for approximately half a mile and you’ll see Conkers Discovery Centre entrance. YHA National Forest is 300m west of the entrance along Bath Lane. What3words link for the exact location activates.speaks.microchip
Ordnance Survey Map 128; Grid reference SK305156
By Train: The nearest train station is Burton Upon Trent which is approximately 8 miles away
By Local bus: The 19A can be caught from Swadlincote, Burton or Ashby. Get off at Moira, Furnace Lane. For more information see the Midland Classic website
By Local accessible taxi: Alliance Private Hire - 01283 262524; Swad Cars 01283 262626.
|Member Dormitory Share 2 Nights EB||£135.00||Available|
|Member Dormitory Share 3 Nights EB||£149.00||Available|
|Member Double Ensuite Share per person 3 Nights EB||£149.00||Sold Out|
|Member Ensuite Double for Sole 3 Nights EB||£235.00||Sold Out|
Not enough spaces left for you? Join the waitlist